Around a year ago, some of my fellow reader friends from my time in a bookstore cafe and I decided to start a book club of our very own to get in our talking-about-books fix, and enjoy a monthly pot luck while we are at it.
To pick out next read, we created a google doc with some titles that we thought would be interesting books to read and discuss. We each pick our top 4 or 5 books on the list and the book with the most votes wins the pick! We typically read half the book at a time and meet once a month.
This is where you come in. We are all thinking our list feels a little bit stale. I would absolutely love some prescriptions for new books to put on our list! I’ve listed below the 6 titles we have enjoyed (mostly) so far and a sample of the other books on our list.
Based on these, what do you think my book club should read next?
So far, we have read the following 6 titles:
- The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
- Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
- The Girls by Emma Cline
- Yesternight by Cat Winters
- A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
- The Man in the High Castle by P.K. Dick
Some other titles on our list include
- Room by Emma Donoghue
- The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
- Life after Life by Kate Atkinson
- In a Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware
- The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp
- Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah
- The Unseen World by Liz Moore
- Before the Fall by Noah Hawley
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
As you can see, our list is a smorgasbord of all kinds of books, so we really are up for anything.
My dear readerly friends. I would absolutely love your help with this project! How does your book club pick books? Are there any books you consider to be must reads for a book club? Which book has fostered the best discussion for your book club? I would love to hear any and all book club stories you have down in the comments!
And I hope your reading life is outta this world ☺